Brief History of Wickham Laboratories
Wickham Laboratories was founded by Mr. William Cartmell in 1962 and a year later was incorporated as a separate entity to the original veterinary diagnostic services facility.
Throughout our history, we have striven to innovate and adapt our services to best meet our clients’ requirements. Over time, we have worked in a variety of testing fields, including food safety testing and chemical analysis but eventually narrowed our focus to microbiology and toxicology testing of pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
For a full overview on our services, please visit our contract testing services page.
We currently have around 120 employees, making a significant contribution to the surrounding economy. Our priority is to build on the foundations laid down some fifty plus years ago to improve our services and capabilities, all while continuing to provide excellent quality contract testing services to current and future clients.
As part of our long-term expansion plans, in 2012 Wickham Laboratories relocated to a 4,000 square metre facility at Hoeford Point, in Gosport. More recently in 2018, Wickham Laboratories Holdings, owner of Wickham Laboratories Ltd, announced approval of an application for planning permission on the Hoeford Point site, which provides additional future options for continued expansion of our facilities.
Some of our other recent key notices include:
- (2013) Celebrated 50th Anniversary Milestone
- (2014) Signatory to Concordat on Openness
- (2015) New Rapid Microbial Identification Service (MALDI-ToF)
- (2015) Appointment of new CEO
- (2016) New Stability Storage Services
- (2016) New In Vitro Pyrogenicity Assessment (Monocyte Activation Test)
- (2017) Additional Expansion of Sterility Testing Facilities
- (2017) Introduction of Full Suite of Medical Device Biocompatibility & Safety Testing
- (2017) Media Preparation Facility Expansion.
Additionally, we have recently reported successful audits from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MRHA) which assess our compliance with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).